This is an important update from Sheena. Please take a few minutes to read as current changes to my business operations are outlined below.
2020 was a bumpy year for everyone. Those that were with us likely know that I laid off my entire team of groomers when Covid-19 arrived in March. I had to cancel over 65% of appointments and worked my butt off alone to stay open. One groomer returned several weeks later making us a team of two from then on.
Then in June 2020 the historic hail storm rolled through Calgary and flooded my salon. I quickly got the OK to continue working in our rear bay that was mostly untouched by the storm. Feeling hopeful, I went and moved everything from the storefront into the back the following day and watched over the coming weeks as the beautiful salon I had created was taken down to bare bones by a demolition company. First the soggy floor was removed, followed by nearly two feet of drywall from every wall. Emotions were all over the board. But there was work to do so we tipped our chins up, made our alley entrance as welcoming as possible and made do as best we could for 6 months until we were rebuilt.
We survived what 2020 threw our way and have been overwhelmed with the loyalty and support of those that stuck with us through these incredible ups and downs. While the pandemic took so many jobs and the global economy as a whole took a catastrophic hit, the grooming industry saw an unexpected and dramatic boost as many people working from home sought the company of a new furry companion.
2021 brought us hundreds of new dogs and the Spring rush became a Spring scramble, with waiting times for appointments quickly growing to several weeks and continues to this day with no end in sight.
So here we are again, and effective June 30th, another major change has taken place. This one is entirely changing operations at Sheena’s moving forward. Brittney, my partner in pandemic grooming, has taken her leave to move closer to her family in BC. To say I am sad to see her go is an understatement. We only knew each other for a year and a half but we endured so much together. I wish her all the best on her new path.
In the wake of everything, I have chosen to go solo as an independent groomer. This is a personal decision that was made after a number of sleepless nights and a great deal of soul searching. It is what is best for me at this time.
My passion lies with cooperative care, positive reinforcement and fear-free grooming and I have chosen this opportunity to grow and develop my skills and talents in these aspects of my work. The mad rush that the pandemic created in the grooming industry created far too much pressure and I found I was not enjoying my work always rushing to keep up and to help far more animals than I was able. My health began to feel the toll of the workload and the adage rings so true: you cannot pour from an empty cup.
With this in mind, please expect the following changes:
1. I have taken on as many of Brittney clients as possible, and the rest have been referred out to other salons.
2. I am booking 10-12 weeks out for weekday appointments and have extremely limited weekend spaces left for the remainder of 2020. Therefore I will not be taking on any new clients until the schedule begins to relax, in order to be able to accommodate my current clients. No, I do not know when that will happen.
3. Appointments for large/giant breeds will be cancelled. Grooming services from now on will be limited to dogs under 65 lbs. Please refrain from suggestions for how I “can” continue grooming large dogs. I thought my decision through thoroughly. I have reached the point in my career that I am choosing to place my own health before the needs of others in order to continue doing the work I love.
4. All services will remain by appointment only moving ahead. This includes grooming and ALL services that were previously walk-in. The loyalty program that we had prior to the pandemic (every 6th nail trim on the house) has also been closed and I appreciate your understanding in this matter.
5. You will notice some price adjustments.
6. I will be limiting appointment bookings to call/text only. My website and social media accounts will be adjusted accordingly. I have one phone number going forward (587) 434-1869 which you can call or text for appointment bookings. Contacts will be addressed during business hours only and calls may take a couple of days to return. I thank you for your patience.
7. I hope to get all clients on a 4,6, or 8 week maintenance schedule and strongly suggest that current clients contact me asap to secure your pups grooming dates for August-December 2021. My January-June 2022 book is also ready for pre-booking.
8. Any missed appointments with less than 24 hours notice, or no notice at all, will be added to your next grooming bill. Clients that repeatedly no call/no show for services will be required to pre-pay for services at the time of booking.
I want to thank each and every one of you for sticking with Sheena’s Pet Services over the years. The pandemic brought a lot of things to the forefront for all of us and we each have learned what is most important in this life – family. We’re all in this together, no matter where we are or where we go or what we do.
Now to look ahead and find out what the future holds.